Thursday, September 11, 2008

Gustav's starting to Gust.......

Greetings from the deep south! As ya'll are very aware, the Gulf Coast kinda went into "Preparation mode" in the middle of the week. Well, everyone's biggest fear started to be a realization on Friday, the 3rd Anniversary of Katrina. This storm has given a new dimension into Hurricane Preparation. PANIC MODE! With numerous sightings of Jim Cantore at the IP spread rapidly like a Wild Forest Fire. So bad, it showed up on sunherald. com. Gosh, these rednecks will stop at nothing to get their name in the paper. Real bad joke for everyone here on the Coast.

Well, I can actually say, I've got a bunch of Gas! (thinking it can go into the jetskiis if necessary), All windows are boarded, candles, batteries, the ol' famous 5" Black and White TV, food, drink, a working generator (WE NEVER EXPECTED to use that thang again),all prescription refilled, and oh let's not forget the well thought out plan of the trip to the Liquor Store!!!! Yep, us southerners are bunkered down tight!!!!
Trust me, NO one in their right mind would have these types of plans for the 'Labor Day weekend'.

All the hustle and bustle, gave way to a quick 4 hours of fun on Saturday. Joe Mosko rolled in to board up his house, and gave 'the twins' their own hiding place from the storm - in his garage. For that we had to take them out. We did take a spin down the industrial canal, and Saturday afternoon already landed several shrimp boats harboring from danger. Hmmm, this storm is really coming.

After all items were completed the boarded, banged, and bo bo's bandaged, we took a ride to the Industrial bridge to look, If I could only get a good picture of this at night - Shrimp boats, big, little, commercial lined both banks of the canal, with all lights burning. An eerie, and a beautiful site. No matter how many times I have seen it, it still takes my breath away.

And you ask, what am I still doing here?? Well, Frank sums it up nicely. "Kaye will leave if her parents do. She's not leaving without them." Yep, he's right. Knowing all I know, what I've gone through, I'm not leaving without my family. It's all good, and I'm sure alot of people really understand.
So, riding the storm out, its now 6:am Monday morning, and we're really starting to feel the effects. Normally we have lost power by this time, and are reduced to the 5" TV, but all is well. Am getting the reports of alot of tornados floating around.

Please say your prayers for us. The sun is starting to appear, so we can now see what's coming at us.
Take care, and we'll let you know how it goes.
A special thanks to my bosses, and everyone that has called, and expressed their concern and wishes for safety for my family and friends here!

No comments: